Farmland stretches almost two miles up the east side of Pine Creek from Route 220 at Jersey Shore. Then comes the first community–Torbert Village.
It does not have any stores, churches, a fire company, or a school. It is entirely residential, with somewhat over 40 homes, but its over 320 acres had belonged to just one man, James Hepburn, back in 1785.
From 1977 to 1982, the Pine Creek Trading Post in Tombs Run was owned by Donald Breon and Neil Lehman. They had bought the business from George Morton, and before him, it had been Bardo’s (the original builder’s) garage. A popular gasoline, groceries, and hunting and fishing supplies store, it entered the 21st century still thriving.
….For more great information and photos about the Blackwell area please purchase “Pine Creek Villages” by: David Kagan
Available at area bookstores, independent retailers, and online retailers, Pine Creek Valley.com, or through Arcadia Publishing at (888)-313-2665 or www.arcadiapublishing.com.