Camp Cedar Pines had a separate multi-week session for boys, another for the girls. This group of lads from a summer long past is shown posing among the trees along what is most likely Gamble Run just west of the main camp and current Route 414. By the end of the Cedar Pine’s existence as a camp “for boys and girls of good character,” campers had come from 13 states and one foreign country–Scotland.
The village of Cedar Run, about five miles north of Slate Run, also prospered during the lumber era, despite its greater isolation and that no logging railroads were ever built up into the mountains.
Known sawmills in the first half of the 19th century included one constructed by a Jacob Warren in 1819 above the present–day village and another erected by John Bowen in 1847 just below Cedar Run stream. By the 1890s, John S. Tomb and Son’s steam sawmill was operating across from the mouth of Cedar Run, while Joseph Wood and Joseph Childs ran another one at the mouth of Jacob’s Run just below the village.
….For more great information and photos about the Blackwell area please purchase “Pine Creek Villages” by: David Kagan
Available at area bookstores, independent retailers, and online retailers, Pine Creek Valley.com, or through Arcadia Publishing at (888)-313-2665 or www.arcadiapublishing.com.